X51 r3 Freezing

flowerdealer

Jan 6, 2016
Hi, I keep getting random freezes on my X51 r3. I've factory reset once, and have updated all drivers and BIOS, and used driver update utilities like Drive Booster and also ran all diagnostic/repair tools that I could find. I've disabled hard drive sleep settings.

My only modifications are a Crucial MX100 SSD driver which I installed, but I have updated the firmware on it and it runs fine using all diagnostics. I also upgrade to Crucial RAM, but again, all diagnostics run fine with it. All pre-boot and post-boot diagnostics run without issues.

The freezes are super random though, most often, they just happen when the computer is idle, but I haven't found anything in the Event Viewer or in the Task manager that would indicate a problem.
Any ideas?

DarthTwon

Jul 8, 2016
Hey, I'm actually running into a similar issue and have been working through it when I can the last couple of days. So far I've got the dump files from 2 BSODs, but not all the crashes are coming up with BSODs.

Both BSODs were caused by the xboxgip.sys driver in my case. Once while it was idle (earlier this morning) and once in the middle of playing Overwatch.

I leave my computer running all day most days and my system event logs show it crashing about 2-3 times daily, which is annoying if I've got stuff up. So far only two of the crashes in about the last 2 weeks have generated a dump file.

All my drivers are up to date as far as I can tell and the only modification I've done to my system is to remove the HDD and put in an SSD.

Anyways, I'll post back if I find anything, but at this point, I have no idea. I'll likely end up doing a complete reinstall of Windows.

DarthTwon

Jul 8, 2016
Oh, and something else, sometimes (I'd say 1/3 of the time) during startup my system hangs on a black screen or goes unresponsive at the logon screen and requires a hard reset. Are you seeing that happen at all?

Darkmiss

Jul 30, 2016
Hello guys, please let me save you some time and headache.
My wife and I both own X51's, and both machines have been through these same problems.
You have a faulty memory stick. (RAM)
ours developed this problem a few months after the years warranty had expired.

Try this for yourself if you would like to confirm it.
Just remove one stick of ram and run the machine for a while, if you have removed the fauly stick, then you computer should run fine, although a little slower.
If it still crashes, remove the second stick and replace the first stick and try again.

We both ended up replacing our ram with Kingston HyperX ram sticks and have been running like a dream since.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: CloudRanger_7

CloudRanger_7

Jul 22, 2016
I was having the same issues described. Especially the logon screen. Eventually I decided it could be the ram since all the drivers were up to date w.r.t to the gtx 1070, Samy 950 so... Went with the Kingston 2666mhz ddr4 HyperX and that seems to have solved it. I have had one startup freeze which always requires a hard reset but it's been good since.