X51 R3 Graphics Card Upgrade Question

Chris Wright

Hi guys, I have an alienware x51 R3 watercooled i7 6700k system and am looking to upgrade the graphics card without buying an amplifier and was wondering if anyone could recommend a GTX 1070 that would fit without much (pref any) mods to the case etc. Im looking at the zotac gtx 1070 mini (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Zotac-GeForce-1070-8GB-GDDR5-256-bit-Mini/dp/B01LLAJ8PU) but dont want to spend all that money to find out that it does not fit. Any help would be great.

aldkiwi

Hi Chris, whether or not it fits in the case, that doesn't look like a great card for you. By the looks of it is not a blower-style card and will therefore be venting heat directly into the case. I think you need to be looking for a card that has a blower to vent the heat out of the case, like the reference cards do.

aldkiwi

The product page (http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=5923#kf) doesn't really detail whether the fan vents into the case or out the rear of the card. The pics seem to suggest an exhaust vent on the back of the card and one of the graphics seemed to show air being directed both out the back of the card and also into the case. You may want to ask Gigabyte product support directly.

In terms of dimensions, the GTX 1060 fits neatly into the X51 R3. The length of Gigabyte card is significantly shorter so that will be fine. It seems to be nearly an inch taller though (or wider, if you're using Gigabytes orientations), so you may need to get the tape measure out and check whether there's nearly an extra inch available. Its 37 mm wide, which I wouldn't have thought would be a problem, but I'm not sure whether two slots (the space available to you) is more or less than this.

Anyone else done the figures on whether this card would squeeze in or know where its directing its exhaust?

Chris Wright

From what I've read the card is a blower from the rear vents. the change to a 1060 I feel is not really worth it from my current setup. I need to find out the current dimensions of the default 970 and research some more I think. it's abit of a pain as I have built all my previous systems and never had this issue (the wife bought me the alienware) I do love the system but am missing the upgrade freedom from my previous systems.

aldkiwi

Would love it if you could keep me posted about where you get to with this one. I've been thinking about an upgrade around Christmas time and if this card works out then it could definitely be one of the options for me.