X51 R3 Liquid Cooling

KurtH

May 10, 2016
Hi folks,

Not purchased my X51 R3 as yet, I just wanted to know, does the liquid cooling make much difference and can it be added at a later date if I decided I needed it?
Also, if I purchased the 2tb HDD model, could I add an m.2 SSD at a later date?

Thanks

Last edited:

Marty

Sep 27, 2015
I like this post as it encompasses how I feel about this place :)
Full of incorrect info, lack of help, support etc it's a shame as if everyone chipped in, it could be great.

To answer you questions.
The water cooling does make a little difference, not HUGE but it does make around 10/15 degrees to me (R2vsR3WC) it can't be added later (as it can't be bought separately) but IF you could get hold of one you could probably fit it with a bit of DIY.

If you buy the 2TB version you can add an SSD later as it runs shotgun on the riser card so it's built in ;)

Reactions: KurtH

KurtH

May 10, 2016
I like this post as it encompasses how I feel about this place :)
Full of incorrect info, lack of help, support etc it's a shame as if everyone chipped in, it could be great.

To answer you questions.
The water cooling does make a little difference, not HUGE but it does make around 10/15 degrees to me (R2vsR3WC) it can't be added later (as it can't be bought separately) but IF you could get hold of one you could probably fit it with a bit of DIY.

If you buy the 2TB version you can add an SSD later as it runs shotgun on the riser card so it's built in ;)

Holy shitballs....

I got a reply,lol :)

I went for the i7 2tb model with the GTX 960 (I'll get the amp and the GTX1080 eventually if it fits in the amp) . I also opted for the optical drive. The R3 was very slow running from the 2TB so I then purchased the Samsung 950 PRO 256GB M.2 SSD and it's now like lightning.
Really impressed with it :)

Marty

Sep 27, 2015
Good choice!
It's a good little machine the x51. Gets a lot of stick but it's good for its purpose. I use mine hidden away behind a monitor so it's perfect for specific case SSD makes a big difference, after using SSDs for the last few years I just can't go back to standard hard drives :)

The 1080 will absolutely fit in the amp, but instead of doing that, just stick a 1070 in your x51. They fit, they are the correct power (150tdp) and also won't be too far off the 1080 in terms of performance :) that's s much cheaper than buying an amp, plus a 1080 etc the 1070 is not that much more that the amp its self.

I think the amp is more aimed at the laptop users, and was just added to the x51 "because" :)

Marty

Sep 27, 2015
I've got my finger on the trigger for my 1070 preorder (should be opening up Monday ready for sale on the 10th of June) :)

The 1070 has a TDP of 150w
(970 SC is 140w)

I run a 970SSC in my R2 and its awesome for gaming, much better than the 960.

The 1070 is also faster than a Titan X (as confirmed by Nvidia on their live show (available to watch on YouTube) and on their website/tech powerup etc...

It's slated to be around 20% slower than the 1080 which puts it right into 980ti territory for around 349!

Fits right inside an x51 costs half that of a 1080 and is available in a few weeks time :)

I think that's a better deal than buying spending 200 on a amp plus 699 on a GTX1080, just for a 20% increase in performance :)

KurtH

May 10, 2016
I've got my finger on the trigger for my 1070 preorder (should be opening up Monday ready for sale on the 10th of June) :)

The 1070 has a TDP of 150w
(970 SC is 140w)

I run a 970SSC in my R2 and its awesome for gaming, much better than the 960.

The 1070 is also faster than a Titan X (as confirmed by Nvidia on their live show (available to watch on YouTube) and on their website/tech powerup etc...

It's slated to be around 20% slower than the 1080 which puts it right into 980ti territory for around 349!

Fits right inside an x51 costs half that of a 1080 and is available in a few weeks time :)

I think that's a better deal than buying spending 200 on a amp plus 699 on a GTX1080, just for a 20% increase in performance :)

Hey, thanks for all the info. I really appreciate it

Marty

Sep 27, 2015
Reactions: KurtH