X51 R3 - Nvidia 1060 Upgrade

AllenB

If anyone is curious.....

This morning I upgraded my X51 R3 from a GTX 970 to a PNY GeForce GTX 1060 - CG Edition. (Not a major upgrade in horsepower, but still nice to have installed).

The card: PNY GeForce GTX 1060 - CG Edition P/N:VCGGTX10606PB-CG.

The card is 9.5 inches long so it fits without any modifications.

The card comes with 1 8 pin power receptacle. Support website has listed power input can be either 6 pin socket or 8 pin socket. So in this case, I used one of the two 6 pin power sockets and stowed the other.

I now can run most games in 1440P at 75% to 100% settings. Temps stay in the same envelope as the previously installed GTX 970.

bbond007

If anyone is curious.....

This morning I upgraded my X51 R3 from a GTX 970 to a PNY GeForce GTX 1060 - CG Edition. (Not a major upgrade in horsepower, but still nice to have installed).

The card: PNY GeForce GTX 1060 - CG Edition P/N:VCGGTX10606PB-CG.

The card is 9.5 inches long so it fits without any modifications.

The card comes with 1 8 pin power receptacle. Support website has listed power input can be either 6 pin socket or 8 pin socket. So in this case, I used one of the two 6 pin power sockets and stowed the other.

I now can run most games in 1440P at 75% to 100% settings. Temps stay in the same envelope as the previously installed GTX 970.

I'm going to swap my GTX 660TI in my r1 i7 model with that exact same card once it arrives from superbiiz (who had the lowest price)

AllenB

Only game right now that I have issues with is The Division. No matter how I tweek the settings, the game runs poorly. Also this is the only game I didn't really see any improvement over the 970.

bbond007

Only game right now that I have issues with is The Division. No matter how I tweek the settings, the game runs poorly. Also this is the only game I didn't really see any improvement over the 970.

I got the card installed. It has one 8-pin power connector and my x51 is equipped with two 6-pin power cables. I just connected a single 6-pin. It is working well so far. I was having to underclock the 660 TI to keep the computer from shutting down when running benchmarks. So far so good. No need for underclocking. I was running Msft Flight Sim in 4K. Very happy with this upgrade :)