X51 R3 "OC Controls" app issue

LagunaJim

Hey, I've got one of the new R3's.. it comes with an application to turn on the overclock called "OC Controls".

It has no options, other than ON and OFF - ON seems to get me an overclock from 4.0Ghz to 4.2 - not the 4.4 advertised..

Besides that discrepancy, the problem I get is that the overclock craps out from time to time - with no error generated. Requires a reboot to get it working again - stopping and restarting the services associated with the application does not get it going again.

Anyone else... advice...?

Dell, of course, only told me to scan for viruses otherwise reinstall my operating system LOL.

Thanks/jim

SDBmania

I tried turning mine on, but I didn't notice any difference in speed. Not sure I see any options to do anything else.

LagunaJim

I tried turning mine on, but I didn't notice any difference in speed. Not sure I see any options to do anything else.

If it's working you only get a 5-10% increase in clock speed, and as fast as they already are it would not be really noticeable -- but it is advertised with the Overclock speed up to 4.4 (standard speed is 4.0Ghz).

I would like it to work - reliably.

You can see it in action by opening Task Manager and viewing the Performance tab - not the clock speed at the top with the OC turned on or off.

/j

Dan.J

The OC controls program is a joke, it gives us nothing as far as any REAL control of anything. I have the 6600K and with OC on it only does 3.9 on all 4 cores, LOL. My other old self built system with a 2500K has been running at 4.8- 5ghz stable as a rock on all 4 cores for YEARS!

KillerBee33

Wait for Custom BIOS and OC manually if you cant do that now .
Don't say you bought it just for that reason ;)

Last edited:

Dan.J

Wait for Custom BIOS and OC manually if you cant do that now .
Don't say you bought it just for that reason ;)
My X51 R3 is a great little system, I have it hooked up to the amp with a 980ti. I do wish Alienware would give us some control over the system either through the OC program or the bios but there is basically NOTHING to tweak or play with on these systems. Hopefully something changes with that as time goes via some custom bios or something.

KillerBee33

I only imagine the more people complain about overpaying for K raited CPU without having a chance of using it , there will be custom BIOS.Whats the PSU W in that AMP? i squizzed every little drop from 980 in R2 so trying to figure a way to stick 980TI in it .

Dan.J

I only imagine the more people complain about overpaying for K raited CPU without having a chance of using it , there will be custom BIOS.Whats the PSU W in that AMP? i squizzed every little drop from 980 in R2 so trying to figure a way to stick 980TI in it .
I think its like 450 watt or something, would rather put my 980 ti in the X51 but without external power I don't think it would work right, 980ti is rather hot and power hungry compaired to 980. The AMP works fine except graphics driver changes are more trouble then they should be with this setup. The bandwidth of the AMP really doesn't seem to limit my 980ti at all IMO at 1440P 144hz.

LagunaJim

I have an X51 R3 (bios 1.2.4) - the "OC Controls" application works fine for a while, then peters out. It's crashing along the way in the background, and I only find out if I try to launch the GUI for it or check the CPU performance via task manager.

I tried and tried to get Dell support to escalate this issue to the developers of the app, with no success.

Changing the startup type of the services associated with this from 'Manual' to 'Automatic' also seems to help somewhat - but still it fails at some point until a system restart.

I've read elsewhere that others experience this - anyone have any suggestions to get it to stay active?

Thx/jim