x51 R3 Overheating

LOD

I have had a x51 R3 with the GTX 960 for about 3 weeks and it is intermittently overheating while playing a game. I currently only have Doom 4 installed and sometimes I can play for an hour or more with no issues while other times in 10 minutes the game starts to slow down and when I go back to the desktop the GPU temp is in the 90's and the GPU fan is running 100%. I can then turn it off for about 10 minutes and start the game again and have no issues. I have opened the case a couple of times and don't see anything blocking the fans. I have talked to Dell and they had me run a stress test which was successful even though the GPU temps got in to the 90's and then he had me upgrade the BIOS and the PC was fine for a week and then it overheated last night while playing Doom 4 in 10 minutes. I shut it down and opened the case again and checked the fans for any blockage and started it up again. This time I played for over an hour with no issues. Dell has no answers is this happening to anyone else?

quicksilv3r

verify that your gpu fan blade is spinning, then cleaned the dust out if u havent done so, find the fan connector on the GPU board. Check to make sure that it is plugged in all the way. If it is, try some software (like MSI afterburner) to adjust the fan speed and monitor gpu temp.

LOD

This PC is only 3 weeks old so there is no dust inside. I have opened the case a few times and the fan turns freely and there is no wire or anything else that is blocking the blades or airflow. This just happens occasionally when I am playing the game. The temp and fan monitor look to be accurate as when the problem happens the GPU temp is in the 90's and the fan it at 100%. When the PC is working normally the GPU temp is in the 50's and the fan is about 35%. When the problem happens I shut the machine down for about 10 minutes and I can then play the game with no issues.

Dan.J

When you load the GPU playing games ect it is overheating so has to be the card its self. If the fan is running 100% and its still getting hot my guess is the GPU heatsink/fan isnt seated properly or something of those sorts going on. I'll bet if Dell switched out your GPU your issue would be gone.

Panda5

Have you considered that you may have your in-game graphics settings too high for your setup?

Have you tried turning things like anti-aliasing down or off? Do you datalog temps / GPU freqs / usage as you play?

Do you also turn up your case's front intake fan speed when you play?

Is there anything blocking the lower-front grille of the case? is your PC placed directly on top of a carpet or rug?

Do you use Automatic fan speeds? Temperature-correlated fan speeds? Or a flat, single speed while gaming (my preference; I use 92% on the GPU fan)?

Have you considered hooking up another monitor / TV into the Intel MoBo GPU HDMI port and live-monitoring GPU and CPU data as you play?

View media item 65

angeloreyes27

MSI afterburner solved it for me.... set the fan speed how i wanted it not as Alienware tend to handle it and GFX card on full blast from a good 70 80 degrees dropped to 50 :)

zZSmokinGoodZz

im running a PNY GTX 970, 16gbram,i7 3770,1tb on a R1 using MSI afterburner for the GPU and speedfan for system fans works great just make sure you keep an eye on your temps the x51 has always ran hot. i personally havent ran stock temps for a loooong time had this thing for 4 years

angeloreyes27

So i changed the maximum CPU state in the power plan from 100 to 90 and now my CPU runs smoothly at 50-60 from 80-90.

Tower doesn't even heat up anymore and i was about to to go for a mini its tower

samoo70

I had an issue, maybe unrelated. When I set the PCI fan speed to anything but auto in the command centre thermal section, the Liquid cooler on the CPU won't go over idle. I tested it, and when the PCI fan is set to fixed, or curve, the CPU LC won't spin over idle (850ish). As soon as you move the PCI fan to auto, the LC fan spools up.