X51 R3 questions - about to buy...

Solstar

Feb 5, 2016
Hi guys,

I've been looking at this system for a while and am about to take the plunge, but I have a couple of questions I'm hoping you can help with.

- The i5 version seems to suit what I need, but 'Windows 10' for that is listed just as that, whereas the i7 model is listed as 'Windows 10 64bit'.

It seems a bit unlikely they are selling the i5 with a 32 bit one, but why doesn't it say 64 bit as well?

Also reading a lot about wireless speeds as well and am a bit worried about that.

So,

1- Is the operating system with the i5 a 64 bit install - can anyone confirm this?
2 - Is it worth paying the extra £10 to get the Intel 7265 wireless card instead of the standard one to try avoid the common problem people report?

Cheers guys, in anticipation :)

Knoxtane

Jan 29, 2016
Florida
I don't own an Alienware X51 yet, but I highly doubt they would install a 32bit OS onto a 64bit based system. 32bit OS are usually on Laptops because of the mobile cpus and gpus. Where a SFF Desktop has discreet CPU and GPU.

Solstar

Feb 5, 2016
Thanks for the reply sk.empyre

You were right - they do install the 64 bit system rather than a 32 bit one, so all sorted there.

I ended up going for the i7 system myself in the end anyway, delivery in one week's time! Also managed to get my net hard wired with some under floor solution, so the wireless question is not relevant now thankfully.

One question though, if anyone can help - presumably things like drivers for graphics card etc work like a normal PC, you still have to do it separately, Alienware Command doesn't take care of that for you does it?! Silly question probably!

Knoxtane

Jan 29, 2016
Florida
Thanks for the reply sk.empyre

You were right - they do install the 64 bit system rather than a 32 bit one, so all sorted there.

I ended up going for the i7 system myself in the end anyway, delivery in one week's time! Also managed to get my net hard wired with some under floor solution, so the wireless question is not relevant now thankfully.

One question though, if anyone can help - presumably things like drivers for graphics card etc work like a normal PC, you still have to do it separately, Alienware Command doesn't take care of that for you does it?! Silly question probably!

PC Manufacturers usually include a few DVD discs that have drivers for that stuff, now if you went for the water-cooled version of the X51, you won't be able to use discs (unless you have a external optical drive). So, if they didn't install the latest drivers or a new release came out for your GPU (If you went with the GTX 960), simply download Nvidia GeForce Experience (Link to the DL page: http://www.geforce.com/geforce-experience) and it will perform scans every day at a certain time to see if the latest driver update was released. I have a self-built PC (I built it in June of 2014) I had a GTX 750 Ti 2GB OC Edition and recently upgraded to a GTX 970..but because I had the latest driver from the Nvidia GeForce Experience Client, I was able to literally plug my 970 in and start playing games immediately.

So for other drivers non GPU related, you'll have to search for them on your own and make sure you're up-to-date.

P.S. What are the system specs of your X51??

- sk.Empyre

Reactions: Solstar

KillerBee33

Sep 20, 2014
New York
1-http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/product-support/product/alienware-x51-r3/drivers
2-http://www.nvidia.com/Download/Find.aspx?lang=en-us
OR 3- http://snappy-driver-installer.sourceforge.net/en/download.php ****Get the FULL Program ""torrent"" option
4- Use DDU when updating nVidia Drivers http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html
Also, very important , dont ever install GFExperience with driver , Extract downloaded Driver to Folder and DELETE evrything but the files on the picture, Install and if you feel like you need GFE download and install it separetly
http://i57.tinypic.com/fatv1z.jpg

Last edited:

Solstar

Feb 5, 2016
Thanks guys, I will have a look next week when its here - I went for the i7 6700k, 16mb memory, GTX 960, 256SSD +1TB, Liquid cooled.

I have a flash drive ready to create a restore drive from Alien ReSpawn so will be ok for that - although people seem to say that there are no drivers on that and you are left doing them all separately if ever restoring the system. Hopefully I won't ever need to but at least I have a way of starting via the flash drive.

There seems to be another option to back up all restore files and personal files, data etc, so I will have to have a closer look at that perhaps!

KillerBee33

Sep 20, 2014
New York
Don't you waste your time on RESTORE/BACK UPS!!! Download Windows 10 Pro FREE to your USB . After getting a NEW Machine always do a clean install to get rid of all the Junk that comes pre installed from factory. Just download Chipset Drivers from dell.com/support and nVidia driver from the link, install chipset then nVidia, connect to internet and let Windows do the rest.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

Solstar

Feb 5, 2016
Well it arrived today - switched it on with baited breath to find one of the side light panels only has a red bulb working. Test ran, hardware problem with green and blue bulb.

A bit gutted, to say the least. Now starts the fun of returning I guess!!

Solstar

Feb 5, 2016
A further point - which people might be able to help with - is that the CPU LC Fan runs along at 835 or so rpm when idle, but when doing anything, even a driver install for example, it straight away goes up - 1200 rpm, as high as 1500 rpm.

That might be normal, I don't know, but there is a whirring noise to go with it - it 'revs' up and down, is the best way to describe it. Fairly loud, distracting, more so than I had expected after hearing they were near silent. And that's working under very little load I would have thought?

As I'm contacting them about a possible (probable) return due to the light mentioned about, should I be concerned about the fan activity mentioned here - or is that normal?

I ask, as the light is a minor point and I may end up keeping the machine (the light goes Red, my preferred colour, and is facing a wall). However, the fan issue would be more serious - a concern or possible paranoia?

Last edited:

Solstar

Feb 5, 2016
Well, my X51 was collected by Dell today - under my 14 days Distance Selling rights, so no quibbles about it at all. I had to speak to technical support before customer support could make arrangements, the only alternative they offered was a repairman coming to look at the issues. I didn't want a repaired machine that was broken out of the box, albeit probably a loose wire / broken bulb.

As for the fans - I don't know if they were loud / faulty or it was my paranoia, but I've ordered a new machine now and will give them a second chance. Hoping its right this time, there won't be a third try before I go elsewhere (reluctantly)