test

X51 - SATA 2 Controller and SATA 3 SSD read/write speeds

doraemon

Like some other members of the forum this days, I'm about to order my new X51. And thinking about ordering it with the optional SSD or the standard HD.

My fist intention was to order it with the optional SSD BUT I was told by a DELL sales person that the X51 with SSD are not shipped (at this moment) with Windows 8 OS, so I must go with Windows 7 instead, or chose a standard HD if I want Windows 8.

So I'm considering the second approach, to order the computer with a standard HD, and make the upgrade to SSD on my own.

Googling about the subject It seems the chipset of the X51 (H61) is only SATA2 capable. and for that reason a SATA 3 SSD is not able to deliver read/write speeds around 500mbs, (it does around 250mbs which is fine for a SATA 2 device)

Are you using SATA 3 SSD's in your mods ? If so which read speeds are you achieving ?
Do you think a cheaper SATA2 SSD will do the same job ?

Thank you.

sway

I would order it with standard hd and get a ssd from newegg, cheapest option.

tappin from the aokp running Nexus

Orcvader

Got mine today... Loving it! Get the non SSD option and buy it in newegg like sway said.

doraemon

Congratz !!!

Ordered mine today.... and looking forward to love it too;)

Also a 256GB Samsung 830 Series SSD and some cables from a local eShop.

HGJ

Are you using SATA 3 SSD's in your mods ? If so which read speeds are you achieving ?
Do you think a cheaper SATA2 SSD will do the same job ?

Thank you.

How about a mini-pci-e sata 3 controller card?

pprjr

sway

sway

has to be smaller than that? what would Note II? and this, seems to be very small

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190826715465&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123

what do you think? i am wanting to risk anything, im reviled with seeing a ssd working as a hd sata2, if you know of any card you think might work

The chipset isn't sata 3 capable only sata 2, would have to do a mobo swap, I'm pretty sure there isn't a work around bc of the chipset.

tappin from the Note II

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1366497351464.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1366497351464.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

pprjr

The chipset isn't sata 3 capable only sata 2, would have to do a mobo swap, I'm pretty sure there isn't a work around bc of the chipset.

tappin from the Note II

I understand, I'd better give up that card, and study a way to replace the motherboard, i will wait a with thunderbolt!

could help me with the video card, i'm thinking of a 670 2gb, cause they spoke that 4gb there is a risk of being rejected. but i wanting to install a water cooler on it, i believe that this could reduce the power consumption (cause remove fans), and increase the chance that i dont have problems with 4gb, what do you think?

kethnguy

i bought that controller card from searching around before i found this forum. It fits on the x51 since there are mounting hols for half sized and full sized mini pcie cards. but the card wasn't recognized on the system. had another user experience the same thing on the dell alienware forums too