x51 Upgrade to 750 GTX 1gb = bios update required?

evogg22

i'm a noob so i'm not sure if this is relevant.
I've had this x51 R1 for almost 3 years now and wish to upgrade.
I've read this card runs well inside and everything, however..

My bios version is A03 but i've read you need A14 for the 750ti version.

Will i have to update my bios for 750 GTX?
If so can anyone guide me through the safest way because i don't want to 'brick' my motherboard from what i have heard.

ejohnson

You should be just fine with that card in your computer. The only thing you would need to update your bios for is if you wanted to upgrade your cpu from a sandy bridge to a ivy bridge.

I actually have that card in mine, runs great, but I got the acx version (twin fans) so I have to leave the sides off the case :(

Make sure you get the blower style (single fan)

evogg22

Ok, so i had a lot of errors. I installed the 750 GTX and it had error code 12.
I read that i needed to reset my bios to factory - (this was so dumb by me).
I ended up having to reset loads of crap until my PC worked, errors after errors occurred, like hdd failure and stuff.

I was able to resolve everything by switching boot mode to to UEFI.
Everything works again, like my 555GTX and my onboard card etc.
However, when i plug in my EVGA 750 GTX 1 GB.
I get 5 beeps.
I plug the hdmi to my mobo. Tomorrow when i get back i will try plugging the hdmi directly to the 750 Gtx.

I'm such a newbie and all this is so stressful :(

My questions -
What are the five quick beeps that constantly repeat? I read something like real time clock failure, but since my old card works, i'm not sure.
How can i resolve this?
I am also reading about disabling secure boot will work however i don't think that is what my problem is..
Many thanks for the helpers so far.

- - - - - Updated; Consecutive Post Auto Merged - - - - -

I ended up having to reset loads of crap until my PC worked, errors after errors occurred, like hdd failure and stuff.

I get 5 beeps.
I plug the hdmi to my mobo. Tomorrow when i get back i will try plugging the hdmi directly to the 750 Gtx.

My questions -
What are the five quick beeps that constantly repeat? I read something like real time clock failure, but since my old card works, i'm not sure.
How can i resolve this?

UPDATE -
From my phone..
My date and time are wrong on eery boot, from what i've read it is cmos. I removed the battery before, just unplugged then replugged aftera few mins because i read about it. I'm not sure if i put it in properly(someone send a picture or something?). My bios also skips when i load up.

This is on my 555GTX + onboard intel.

THANKS.

This is really annoying .-.

man i just wanted to upgrade and play.

UPDATE - Happy new years....

I think i have resolved the RTC failure.
But more problems,
I had to reinstall windows because unplugging the cmos and replugging reset my bios again and i had to boot in UEFI to install windows as legacy couldn't read my disk for some reason.
I'm going to try several restarts to see if i see the bios again and if the clock is correct.

I will have to try reinstalling my 750 gtx, my only solutions that i've read is to update bios firmware to A14 from A03 - A06 - A07 - A11/12 - A14 if i want the card to work.
I want to update through USB, not through dell windows as i have read about the bricking risk. Can anyone advise me before i do anything stupid? Thank you so much.

Update again -

CMOS fine now

When I plug in 750 GTX EVGA
I get a single beep code response with no post. The 555 GTX still works though.
Anyone help?

I get 5 beeps.

My questions -
How can i resolve this?
I am also reading about disabling secure boot will work however i don't think that is what my problem is..

UPDATE -
From my phone..
My date and time are wrong on eery boot, from what i've read it is cmos. I removed the battery before, just unplugged then replugged aftera few mins because i read about it. I'm not sure if i put it in properly(someone send a picture or something?). My bios also skips when i load up.

This is on my 555GTX + onboard intel.

THANKS.

This is really annoying .-.

man i just wanted to upgrade and play.

UPDATE - Happy new years....

I think i have resolved the RTC failure.
But more problems,
I had to reinstall windows because unplugging the cmos and replugging reset my bios again and i had to boot in UEFI to install windows as legacy couldn't read my disk for some reason.
I'm going to try several restarts to see if i see the bios again and if the clock is correct.

I will have to try reinstalling my 750 gtx, my only solutions that i've read is to update bios firmware to A14 from A03 - A06 - A07 - A11/12 - A14 if i want the card to work.
I want to update through USB, not through dell windows as i have read about the bricking risk. Can anyone advise me before i do anything stupid? Thank you so much.

Update again -

CMOS fine now

When I plug in 750 GTX EVGA
I get a single beep code response with no post. The 555 GTX still works though.
Anyone help?

EDIT - when I plug in 750 GTX and use my HDMI straight to card it does nothing.
When I plug into onboard, there is 1 beep.
If I plug in to onboard on boot, there is 5 beeps.
Plugging into 750 after that does nothing, but when I reinstall my 555 GTX, bios/boot has no display until the win7 welcome screen. My CMOS time is correct this time.

Last edited:
Last edited: