test

x51 with GTX 670 FTW Reboot problem

tomcoleman

Like allot of people i upgraded my card in my x51 to the GTX 670 FTW EVGA

Im running drivers 306 with A11 BIOS and EVGA last bios 4B.

Still during BF3 the PC will completly reboot sometimes it doesnt

Is there a fix to this yet or is it a case the PSU just is not powerful enough?

I might sell it and switch to a GTX 660 Ti (if this is better then the 660)

any advice would be greaftful. :cool:

Xtrmx51

I have the same gpu installed in my x51 with the stock mb. I had random shutdowns and low 670ftw 3d mark 11 scores! So I replaced the mb and psu! Now everything work perfect!

MattyB

I have the same gpu installed in my x51 with the stock mb. I had random shutdowns and low 670ftw 3d mark 11 scores! So I replaced the mb and psu! Now everything work perfect!

Did you replace both of these with stock parts or did you fit a better PSU in?

Xtrmx51

Yea I use the asrock z77 mitx with corsair gs 700. Just by doing the swap I got 2000 more in 3dmark 11. Because the 330psu wasn't enough power. Plus the cpu is locked in the dell bios so it doesn't really use turbo boost. To much heat not enough power!

sway

You have to have an unlocked cpu to overclock, the newer cpus in the x51 can't use turbo boost bc Dell locked it to reduce heat. So by changing the mobo the cpu will automatically use turbo boost, and with a better mobo and unlocked bios you can get an unlocked cpu to overclock as high as possible. If you swap out mobo though you have to upgrade psu to power it.

I'm requesting pics please, very detailed if you can. I have been contemplating doing this, and I want to know exactly whats needed to be done other than what is obvious.

tappin from the Note II

yikes81

Ah .. so its the mobo that needs to get changed, and then upgrade teh psu ... i see i see .... thanks for clarifying that.

sway

Ah .. so its the mobo that needs to get changed, and then upgrade teh psu ... i see i see .... thanks for clarifying that.

Yeah Dell locked us out for our own good. I tried to find if we could upgrade the mobo with stock psu but apparently the volts are to much on better mobo so it'll cause issues.

tappin from the Note II

Xtrmx51

Correct the dell mb is 19v so that is why they have that power board with the fan. When u replace the mb u need a new psu. I even got the lights on the case to work. U can use any mitx mb. The gpu lines right up. The cpu is off alittle so u can't use that plastic shroud. Which is good my mod made cpu temps drop 20c on load!image.jpg

sway

Correct the dell mb is 19v so that is why they have that power board with the fan. When u replace the mb u need a new psu. I even got the lights on the case to work. U can use any mitx mb. The gpu lines right up. The cpu is off alittle so u can't use that plastic shroud. Which is good my mod made cpu temps drop 20c on load!View attachment 687

More pics, especially of the back with ports. Definitely nice work though.

tappin from the Note II

MattyB

You have to have an unlocked cpu to overclock, the newer cpus in the x51 can't use turbo boost bc Dell locked it to reduce heat. So by changing the mobo the cpu will automatically use turbo boost, and with a better mobo and unlocked bios you can get an unlocked cpu to overclock as high as possible. If you swap out mobo though you have to upgrade psu to power it.

I'm requesting pics please, very detailed if you can. I have been contemplating doing this, and I want to know exactly whats needed to be done other than what is obvious.

tappin from the Note II

Sway, does this mean that although Dell advertise the X51 with turbo boost, it doesn't actually function?

- - - - - Updated - - - - -

That doesn't seem right.....

sway

Sway, does this mean that although Dell advertise the X51 with turbo boost, it doesn't actually function?

That doesn't seem right.....

Nope it doesn't.

tapping from the Note II

MattyB

I'm going to hit them up about this one!

I have emailed my Dell guy. I will let you know what he says on monday.

Xtrmx51

Actually it's locked in the bios! And it only boosts 1. So if u have a i5 2320 that is @3.0 MHz it will boost to .1 so 3.1 not the 3.3! Same with i7 CPUs because of not enough power and dells stupid cooling. My cooling dropped the cpu 20c during load and 8c idel.

sway

Actually it's locked in the bios! And it only boosts 1. So if u have a i5 2320 that is @3.0 MHz it will boost to .1 so 3.1 not the 3.3! Same with i7 CPUs because of not enough power and dells stupid cooling. My cooling dropped the cpu 20c during load and 8c idel.

So all you did with the stock fan was take that shroud or whatever off to expose the fins? If it helps that much I may do that later. I know I'm building another rig but damn it's taking everything I have to not go full mod on on this thing.

tapping from the Note II

Xtrmx51

If u look at the heat sink under the fan. That piece with the aluminum fins is covered with plastic which traps all the heat there right ontop of the cpu. Looks at intel stock cooler. I used a dremel and removed all the excess plastic so all those fins r exposed then turned the fan around and blows down. I also use an exaust fan in the back!

sway

If u look at the heat sink under the fan. That piece with the aluminum fins is covered with plastic which traps all the heat there right ontop of the cpu. Looks at intel stock cooler. I used a dremel and removed all the excess plastic so all those fins r exposed then turned the fan around and blows down. I also use an exaust fan in the back!

Hmmm I'll look at it in a lil but when I get home.

tapping from the Note II

MattyB

Here is the response I got back from Dell in regards to the Turbo Boost being disabled.

Thanks for your reply. Matt, the Intel Turbo Boost 2.0 is to be disabled at default as you know not all our consumers understand how it actually works. Intel Turbo Boost 2.0 does not cause overheating or loud fan noise. As you might already know the reasons of overheating involve the following:

a) Dust collected
b) Environmental temperature
c) Existing overclocking
d) Inproper installation of thermal heatsinks or thermal paste.

Matt, the Intel Turbo boost 2.0 can be activated in the BIOS and it is to be monitored automatically by the operating system whenever it needs it. Nevetheless, you can go ahead and download the monitor application if you would like to keep an eye on the overall ITB's performance activity.

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=19105

If you would like to know more about the ITB, you can find it all here:

http://www.intel.com/support/processors/sb/CS-029908.htm

If you require any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me.

He didn't actually say why it was disabled if it wasn't a heat issue.