test

Your Hometown: Fun Facts, Special or Blah

WaLkAwaY

I thought this would be a cool little idea. Everyone whether they love or hate their hometown usually has a few things they can say about it. So if you could list as many facts, special things or even things that irk you about your hometown or even the state it is in.

HERE is the site I went to to get my info as I could not think off the top of my head of anything I like about California other than the coastal region around San Francisco to Big Sur is exceptionally beautiful.

California.

Sequoia National Park contains the largest living tree. Its trunk is 102 feet in circumference.

There are more than 300,000 tons of grapes grown in California annually.

The redwood is the official state tree. Some of the giant redwoods in Sequoia National Park are more than 2,000 years old.

California has some of the more stupid gun laws in the US. (I added that one :) )

My city is Mumbai (known as Bombay since the British times)
what makes my city cool is it is entirely made up of 7 islands :)
well Vada Pav is the main food item of my city you can say, known for in the entire country and foreigners visiting first try that you should google it :D

VagrantXeth

I live in Texas, City of Del Rio.

Del Rio is spanish meaning "From the River"

Situated on the border of Ciudad Acuña Mexico, Acuña's claim to fame (if it ever had one) was the location of the Robert Rodriguez movie "Desperado". Most notably, the bar shootout scene was filmed in "The Corona Club" bar.

Boasting one of the largest man made lakes in the region named Lake Amistad. Amistad means friendship in spanish. Texas is taken from the Caddo indian name for friends which is originally spelled "tejas".

Upon its opening, the lake's dam, also named Amistad, was inaugurated by both the Mexican and American presidents at the time. The US president was Eisenhower and Mexican president Lopez Mateos, they both walked to the center of the dam from their respective sides and shook hands in the middle to symbolize the friendship of the two nations.

More recently, Lake Amistad has been the site of some Bass Master competitions and these events have served to bring in much needed revenue and revitalized interest in our lake and surrounding areas.

The town itself is not large boasting only about 50,000 residents in aproximation. It is also where the United States Air Force has one of it's bases that is used for training new pilots, Laughlin Air Force Base, which is located on the outskirts of the city.

More recently, tourism to the Mexican city of Acuña has diminished with the threat of warring factions of mexican drug cartels vying for control of the lucrative drug trade. The "Zetas" group has made a violent bid for the trade and demonstrated their brutality with beheadings and burning of people involved with their competitors and even the civilian mexican citizenry. Some of violence occasionaly spills out into the US side but those instances are few and far between.

Del Rio is also the location where serial murderer Tommy Lynn Sells was aprehended. He was attempting to claim the life of two young girls by slitting their throats, but one of the girls survived by acting dead when her throat was cut. When Sells departed, the girl ran to a neighbors house, with her throat bleeding, and managed to call authorities. She was later able to identify the assailant as Sells who was subsequently apprehended. Sells is currently awaiting a death sentence and is still telling authorites where to find the bodies of the victims of his murderous exploits.

Maelstrom

My home town is... I'm not even going to mention it because I was born and then we moved two weeks after (I was actually born on the day we were supposed to leave).

DDuB420

My hometown is Toronto,Ontario,Canada

Toronto is Canada’s largest city and home to over 5.7 million people
Toronto is the capital city of the province of Ontario
Toronto is the largest financial centre in Canada.
There are 100 + languages spoken throughout the city of Toronto
Just over 30 per cent of Toronto residents speak a language other than English or French at home.
Over half of Toronto’s labour force has a university degree or college diploma
Toronto is Canadas number one tourist destination
Toronto residents hold more university educations than in any other country, in the world, based on percentage of population. Source OECD – 2003
180 million customers live and work within a day’s drive of Toronto, including 125 million Americans or roughly 40 per cent of the U.S. population.
More people live in Toronto than in Canada’s four Atlantic Provinces combined
Half of Toronto’s population (1,237,720) was born outside of Canada, up from 48 per cent in 1996.
Niagara Falls is just over an hours drive from Toronto
Toronto has over 8,000 restaurants

JennyM

I live in a little townland called Annaghmore, it's in County Armagh, also known as the Orchard Country. Our Bramley apples have EU protection status cos they're so awesome :p Its beautiful when all the orchards bloom in pink for miles around. :)

Population of ooh about 400 people, lol! Its the countryside, about 8 miles from the nearest town. The kind of place where you know the name of your postman, milkman (when there was one!), and all your neighbours.

There is a horse racing track and a car racing track nearby - damned noisy I can tell you! But they only operate every other weekend, or once a month. Thank God for double glazing! I don't think the rally cars have mufflers, lol!

This is a mossy peat area, so we get a lot of fog, low lying mist. We have a forest park called 'Peatlands Park' which has a bug garden, duck pond, trees, peat cutting areas, small lake.

And of course our land is very green, cos we get more than our fair share of rain! We're having a mild winter so far... wishing for snow though, LOVE snow!

Not much else to tell you really about here. Its much calmer since the troubles ended; I used to be scared of going to town in case of bombings, our nearest town's main street was demolished in bombings twice. Most people don't want to go back to the bad days, want to live in peace, and long may it continue.

AeonSoul

I live in a little townland called Annaghmore, it's in County Armagh, also known as the Orchard Country. Our Bramley apples have EU protection status cos they're so awesome :p Its beautiful when all the orchards bloom in pink for miles around. :)

Population of ooh about 400 people, lol! Its the countryside, about 8 miles from the nearest town. The kind of place where you know the name of your postman, milkman (when there was one!), and all your neighbours.

There is a horse racing track and a car racing track nearby - damned noisy I can tell you! But they only operate every other weekend, or once a month. Thank God for double glazing! I don't think the rally cars have mufflers, lol!

This is a mossy peat area, so we get a lot of fog, low lying mist. We have a forest park called 'Peatlands Park' which has a bug garden, duck pond, trees, peat cutting areas, small lake.

And of course our land is very green, cos we get more than our fair share of rain! We're having a mild winter so far... wishing for snow though, LOVE snow!

Not much else to tell you really about here. Its much calmer since the troubles ended; I used to be scared of going to town in case of bombings, our nearest town's main street was demolished in bombings twice. Most people don't want to go back to the bad days, want to live in peace, and long may it continue.

Seems like a lovely place, except the bombings. I think I'd like to visit Ireland some day, but meh, that bombing thingy is kinda keeping me off.

JennyM

Seems like a lovely place, except the bombings. I think I'd like to visit Ireland some day, but meh, that bombing thingy is kinda keeping me off.

Ah no its over, sure the ceasefire has been in place since 1998 between the main groups - you'll be quite safe :) There's been a few car bombs & shootings from a splinter group, but on a much smaller scale.

sway

I live in Houston Texas, def nothing special here, it sucks and I hate it here. I have family that lives in Honolulu so I'm setting a goal to move to the big island in the very near future.

tappin on the aokp running Nexus 7

JennyM

Wow, Honalulu would be awesome, hope u reach ur goal soon, good luck with that! :)

VagrantXeth

It's not luck that gets you to where you are going, it is the ability to be resourceful enough to utilize what you have to meet the end goal. Have faith, you will get there soon!

sway

It's not luck that gets you to where you are going, it is the ability to be resourceful enough to utilize what you have to meet the end goal. Have faith, you will get there soon!

Very well put

tappin from the aokp running Nexus

JennyM

Yes, nicely paraphrased...:p However, saying 'Good luck with that' or 'good luck with ur new job' 'good luck with ur exams' is really intended as a type of social phrasing rather than literal interpretation. He can utilise what skills he has to meet his goal, but also events happen that can be outside his realm of control; It's sort of like saying 'I wish u well' I guess... :) or in Irish blessing form 'May the road rise up to meet you,' etc

MattyB

I have found that I'm not very good at utilising my skills. I have definitely survived on luck up to this point in my life. Seems to have worked out ok for me so far. :D

yikes81

I think that I'm in the same boat as MattyB. Australia is a forgiving country.

thought I resurrect this thread since I found an interesting piece on my city here. There are many things which even citizens here don't know, and I still like to call it Bombay as its in my heart as now things are just worse than ever and the name change was just a stupid local political agenda because the former name was too "English" (the british rule)